For people starting their archery journey, choosing the ideal bow can make a lot of difference between excellent shooting and never picking up a bow again. With a wide array of recurve bows to choose from, it is challenging for new archers to pick the right one for their needs.
After all, there are plenty of specifications and features to compare, making you feel overwhelmed when you get started. Even after exploring all the options available on the market, it is better for you to pay more attention to the features, price, and users’ reviews about a particular recurve bow to help you narrow down the choices to the best one.
Recurve bows are specially designed for novice archers; unlike compound bows, they are budget-friendly and available in different draw weights to match every need as the archer levels up their game.
Learn More: Left-Handed Recurve Bow
So, to save all the hassle you have to go through, we have curated a list of the top best recurve bows for novice archers. After that, you will find a comprehensive buyer’s guide, which will help you make an informed decision while providing every detail you need to know before making a potential purchase.
Buyer’s Guide Of Best Recurve Bows for Beginners
① Samick Sage Takedown Recurve
Samick Sage is the best recurve bow has been an all-rounder for players starting from naive to intermediate archers. It is an ideal choice for learning and something to experiment with and hone your archery skills. In addition, Samick has been manufacturing products that have proven to be archery champions all over the world.
While both Samick and sage focus on introducing something enticing, something that will draw out a big picture in front of the archery world and will remain there for a lifetime. With durable maple limbs and fiberglass lamination on each side, this takedown recurve bow offers everything you need to get started.
It comes with an interchangeable limb option and cleanly designed limbs bolts for convenient limbs replacement. The company has constructed a sturdy design to handle multiple limb weights and bow weights. With an ergonomically designed grip, you can easily accommodate the bow in your hand with a firm grip.
Not only this, but this recurve bow also features pre-installed threaded brass bushings for additional attachments like stabilizer, brass plunger, bow fishing reel, quiver, and sight. With a high-quality manufacturing system and dedicated staff, Samick sage has been able to produce high-performing products that match the different needs of archers.
- It is recommended to use a 28-inch draw while 62-inch should be the total length.
- Limbs are made with premium and durable maple wood and laminated with fiberglass.
- Robust riser construction that can easily handle multiple limb/bow weights.
- The ergonomic grip design offers a sturdy yet comfortable grip along with a crowned arrow shelf.
- With 14 strands of the dacron bowstring, you can quickly shoot from a longer distance.
- Thanks to its interchangeable limb feature for enhancing its versatility.
- It comes with pre-installed brass bushings that let you attach fitments and upgrades.
- Best for naive and intermediate archers.
- It can be used for field tournaments, recreational archery, 3D archery, bow fishing, etc.
- Made of hard maple wood coated with fiberglass lamination for excellent agility.
- No tools are required for assembling the bow.
- Available in different draw weights.
- Offers value for money.
- Comes pre-drilled for accessories and attachments.
- It might be too long for some archers.
② Spyder Takedown Recurve Bow
This set of archery products is specially developed for novice archers who need everything to get started with their archery journey. It contains the bow model manufactured by southwest archery spyder, in both regular and XL size. This shooting package is an ideal deal for getting you a perfect range right when you begin.
It also contains standard arrow rest, bowstringing, and armguard for great protection while releasing the arrow. In addition, you will get a choice in three arrows colors, which are packed with a bow and stored in the hard case for easy portability. Apart from being sturdy, the case also features TSA-approved locks for additional protection.
You will get a built-in compartment and broadhead wrench for additional accessories. Every tool is included in the box to ensure convenient assembling, letting you shoot your first arrow within 10 minutes of the product arriving at your doorsteps. Spyder aims at delivering extraordinary quality bows at reasonable prices along with a 1-year of manufacturing warranty.
It is a packed deal for every archer as it includes an armguard, string and stringer, a case, three arrows, and an armguard, but it comes with a bow manufactured by southwest. Every accessory needed for aching has been provided in this packed deal.
- Made with four natural sourced wood for lightweight, compact, and accurate bow.
- It includes a spyder bow, arrow rest, bowstring, stringer tool, hard case, armguard, etc.
- It comes with premium carbon arrows.
- With a 62-inch bow length, it is suitable to accommodate a longer draw length.
- The ergonomically designed riser also includes mounted limb bolts for convenient assembling.
- Pre-installed with threaded bushings to accommodate various accessories.
- An additional option for the required stringer tool in case you want to buy.
- Comes with every accessory required for getting started.
- It includes a premium quality spyder bow.
- You have various options in drawing weight and length.
- Beautiful compact design with ergonomic grip design.
- Offers unmatched precision and accuracy.
- Interchangeable limbs with spyder XL and journey/sage.
- The company does not include stringer with the entire package.
③ Southwest Archery Spyder Takedown Recurve Bow
Another recurve bow with takedown feature from southwest archery. This bow is made with rugged material combining four natural wood types. That ensures a lightweight, compact design, making it ideal for naive archers for learning archery.
With interchangeable versatility, you can easily accommodate different weights and lengths of limbs ranges between 20lbs to 60lbs while leveling up your game. Southwest archery has manufactured this product by keeping the needs of novice archers in mind.
That’s why they offer both-handed bow options to increase its versatility. In this package, you will get a limb pair, a riser, an arrow rest, and one 14 dacron string, which makes it a perfect set for beginners. It comes with pre-drilled threaded bushing for attaching various fitments like sight, bow fishing reels, stabilizers, mechanical rest, and many more.
The company has used a reinforced limb, which ensures fast flight and high string compatibility. Thus, it is ideal for bow fishing, target practice, or hunting deer. You will also get a handcrafted riser for both left and right-handed shooters, along with detailed instructions to handle the bow properly.
Another great thing about this package is that it comes with a 1-year of manufacturer warranty. Southwest archery is determined to deliver unmatchable quality at a reasonable price. That means whenever you buy this product, and it ensures that your money is worth a while.
- Made of four natural woods combined to ensure sturdiness and a lightweight bow.
- The reinforced limb ensures faster and accurate flight while compatible with different strings.
- Pre-drilled limbs for additional attachments and accessories.
- The package is available with an optional stringer tool.
- It is compatible with flemish strings and fast flight.
- Available in both left and right-handedness.
- Interchangeable draw weight ranging from 20lbs to 60lbs.
- It features a sticky adhesive arrow rest.
- Comes with an arrow rest, limbs, and rinser.
- Draw weight ranges between 20lbs – 60lbs.
- It is perfect for beginners who do something for target practicing, bow fishing, and hunting deer.
- It can be a bit pricey for some archers.
④ Xgeek Compound Bow Kit, Target, And Hunting
Xgeek compound has manufactured a modern, eye-catching aluminum riser that delivers unmatchable compatibility with power and stability. It also features a modern bow with a versatile draw weight that ranges between 40lbs to 50 lbs.
Greek has specially produced this bow for bowhunting by ensuring it is lightweight and available with numerous accessories. In the box, you will get a powerful recurve bow, 12 arrows, a Bow stabilizer, an armguard, sight, a Hunting Hip Quiver, and a finger tab for shooting. In addition, every required tool has been included to ensure sturdy and convenient assembly.
Not only this, but you will also get a hex key for attaching the additional accessories like limbs and bow stringer tool for attaching bowstring. In addition, a string wax is included to improve the longevity of your new bow.
However, naive and intermediate archers should consult and take supervision from their seniors about this recurve bow as the weight might be a little demanding for novice archers. The geek box has robust packing to prevent any damage to any item.
Plus, every accessory included in the box is compatible with every compound bow. Hence, making this archer package perfect for youth, adults, and even naive archers.
- The compound bow by xgeek weighs around 3.61lbs.
- You can change the draw weight (20lbs-70lbs) to match different needs.
- The draw length measures 17-29 inches for different height archers.
- It comes with a five-pin optical bow sight for better aim.
- Rubber stabilizer effectively reduces the vibration between bow after a release.
- Brush arrow rest improves arrow speed by reducing the frame friction.
- Cam is specially designed using aluminum-magnesium alloy wheels.
- Durable limbs promote fast rate firing while reducing vibrations.
- Made from aluminum-magnesium alloy, which is light, strong, and offers a heavy feeling.
- The product is easy to assemble and disassemble.
- It is available in multiple limb weights.
- Comes with a premium selection of attachments and accessories.
- Made with robust metal, which ensures low vibration after release.
- It can be too powerful for young archers to handle.
⑤ Sinoart 68” Takedown Recurve Bow
When it comes down to finding a stable archery bow, sinoart is the company you should be looking for. They have engineered the technology to manufacture highly stable recurve bows to ensure ideal shooting practices for naive archers.
Everybody knows that every action needs to be precise and consistent when aiming at the target. You should know that if the bow is heavy, you are likely to lose your control while drawing the bow, resulting in inaccurate shots.
You must be aware that at least 144 arrows will be shot through various rounds, and having a high poundage bow will make people tired. In addition, this bow is specially designed for right-handed shooters, which means you have to hold the bow with your left hand and stretch the string with the right one.
With premium-quality build and strong fiberglass lamination, the bow ensures robust performance while the edges of limb pockets and riser are rounded to ensure a comfortable and smooth experience.
Sinoart has included everything you need to get started right after receiving the package. It includes riser, bowstring, bow limbs, arm guard, bow stringer, finger tab, recurve bow arrow rest, recurve bow sight, arrow rest, and string nocks.
This bow is a budget-friendly option for those looking for all accessories under a single reasonable price value. So, when you begin your archery training, this set will provide precision accuracy with all the accessories attached.
- The draw weight is available in 18lbs – 36lbs.
- Uses a premium metal riser along with a fiberglass limb for robust performance.
- The bow is specially designed for right-handed shooters.
- It weighs only 2.2 pounds.
- The draw length is 32-inch while the bow length is 66-inch.
- Comes with valuable fitments and attachments for a convenient shooting experience.
- Budget-friendly archery set with all kinds of accessories.
- It is highly recommended for target archery.
- Ability to offer unmatchable performance with both left and right sides.
- Made with sturdy, durable material.
- It is not designed for bow hunting.
⑥ Martin Jaguar Recurve Bow
Jaguar has manufactured a great recurve bow for people who are thinking about transiting through gun owners to archery. The custom grip and aluminum riser make an ideal choice for naive to begin their journey. As the appearance of this recurve bow is quite less traditional when compared to other archery models.
With takedown design, it improves the versatility of your bow while improving the shock absorption to deliver high performance. It is suitable for those archers who prefer testing poundage bows to put their archering skills to the test. Despite the fact, the jaguar has incorporated a machined aluminum for constructing a balanced bow that provides a perfect feel of durable construction and lightweight.
With a sturdy frame and martin’s thermal V grip, this bow is comfortable to grip even in harsh weather while reducing the vibration noise significantly. So, when you tighten the bolts of this bow, it assures you that the bow is not going anywhere. The company also added a tool to assist you with stringing the bow easily.
- The fiberglass limbs and laminated wood offer a robust flight.
- It weighs less than 3 pounds.
- With camouflage design, it can easily blend with the woods.
- Thanks to aluminum and magnesium for a lightweight riser.
- The adjustable arrow rest and limbs are made of laminated fiberglass wood for resilient work.
- Comfortable and vibration-free.
- Sturdy and lightweight.
- Adjustable arrow rest for precision and ideal aim.
- Limbs are made of hardwood laminated with fiberglass.
- Comes with an attachable stabilizer and other fitments.
- It comes with limited weight options.
⑦ Keshes Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow
Keshes takedown hunting recurve bow is one of the best bows for beginners. It is specially designed for every level of person to fit the needs of every family member with a single adjustment. As mentioned above, this bow is excellent for naive as well as experts.
This unique takedown model can be upgraded with new limbs that match your needs, like customizing it for right or left hand. A draw length of 29-inch and a bow length of 62-inch offers a customizable preference between 15 to 60 lbs. No doubt the company has used sturdy wood and made it accessible with additional accessories that come with the product.
The Keshes takedown hunting recurve bow offers a lightweight and premium-quality recurve bow that suits the needs of a beginner starting its journey. However, you should know that this bow can be a little tricky for youth archers. Overall, it is ideally made for families, which means every generation can use it.
- Made with solid woods that ensure lasting performance.
- With a brace height of 7.75-inch and bow length 62-inch, it ensures precise flight.
- The interchangeable limbs make it versatile for every archer.
- With the agility to handle low and high poundage, it produces light vibrations.
- Pre-drilled limbs for attaching additional accessories and fittings.
- It is backed up by a 100% satisfaction policy, which ensures risk-free purchases.
- Specially made for families.
- Made with sturdy woods to make it last forever.
- Available in both left and right-handedness.
- You can replace the limbs according to your requirements.
- It can be large for some archers.
⑧ Horsebow Archery 20 Handmade Recurve Bow
This horsebow recurve bow is made of traditional wood to ensure elegance, making it the perfect recurve bow for a novice archer. However, if you are looking for a recurve bow with a traditional touch, then this bow holds your interest.
With interchangeable draw weight, you can alter the weight between 20lbs to 110lbs. This unique feature makes it the best recurve bow for adults as well as naive. The company has used genuine cow leather and sturdy wood to ensure unbeatable performance. The draw length is available in 28-inch and is specially designed for both right and left-hand archers.
Even though this traditional recurve bow does not come with some additional accessories, making this accessible for beginners to start their journey with this decent archery bow. Apart from this, the package will also include an instruction book for a step-by-step guide for assembling the bow and guidance for using the bow in the right way.
With this accurate recurve bow, beginners are ready to take their first step to great archery skills with perfect guidance. The ergonomic grip makes it easier to grab the bow conveniently and makes it easier to use. The best thing about this recurve bow is that a money-guarantee policy backs it up, so beginners should not hesitate or be fussy while making this potential purchase.
- Made of premium cow leather, glass steel, beech, and wood for sturdy performance.
- The ergonomic riser design ensures accuracy and precision shots.
- The draw weight is available between 20lbs to 110lbs.
- It features a bow length of 54-inch and a draw length of 28-inch.
- With an ergonomic grip, it is easier to grab and shoot with good foam.
- It is a traditional handmade bow.
- The firm grip ensures complete control over the bow.
- It can be customized to match your needs.
- It comes in handy and fast.
- It does not come with modern accessories.
- It is a decent-quality bow.
⑨ Bear Archery Wizard Youth Bow
The bear archery wizard has proven to be the best recurve bow for novice archers of all time. As it enables you to aim with precision and shoot with the highest accuracy. The compact design allows you to carry this bow while you are on the hunt. The construction of this crossbow plays a vital role in determining the precision of every shot.
The bow weighs around 1.6 pounds, while the draw weight is available in 22-29 lbs. That means it is an ideal recurve bow for beginners to start their journey with as it allows the user to adjust the performance according to their ability. However, you must know that the light draw weight is not considered legal archery equipment for intermediary and expert level games.
Overall, this bow is precise enough and sufficiently exceptional to perform better in small game chasing. However, when it comes down to assembling the bear archery wizard, all you need to know is how to string the bow. With a bow length of 60-inch, it is an adult-sized bow. The company has used composite limbs with an elastic and plastic grasped riser.
The company has made this bow available in both left and right-handedness to practice your archery with sturdy construction. In addition, you should know that it is a reliable yet highly accurate recurve bow for both-handedness, which is available at a decent price.
That means people who are looking for a decent yet reliable way to get into archery should consider this recurve bow without a doubt and start honing their skills to level up their game.
Another great thing about this bow is that it is lightweight, which allows you to take down accurate shots with good form. Once you have mastered your archery foam, you should focus on increasing the bow weight to improve your muscle strength and agility.
- It features an ambidextrous riser for both left and right-hand uses.
- It comes equipped with finger rollers and a sight pin.
- It is available in 10 – 18 lbs draw weight and 17-24 inch draw length.
- With durable composite limbs, it features a 44-inch longbow.
- Durable and lightweight.
- Offers great value of money.
- Delivers reliable performance with high precision.
- Available in both left and right-handedness.
- The company has not included a bow springer.
⑩ SAS Courage
A decent takedown bow that might have a bit traditional appearance. You should know that courage comes with a wide array of draw weights, which is lightweight and backed up with a 3-years of manufacturer warranty. With a furry rug style near the arrow rest position, it delivers precision, accurate shot.
It also comes pre-drilled for additional fitments like sight, quiver, arrow rest, and stabilizer. A naive might not consider this recurve bow that comes with a long AMO length for a convenient experience as it measures 60-inch. The riser is made of chuglam, makore, and bintangor hardwoods.
On the other hand, limbs are made of makore and maple woods wrapped with fiberglass lamination. It ensures robust stability while shooting with excellent arrow speed. The best thing about the SAS courage recurve bow is that it is available for both handednesses, and you can choose from the bow weight ranging from 29lbd to 60lbs.
On top of that, assembling and disassembling is relatively easy and offers enough storage to store extra accessories. That’s why it is perfect for non-stop training and hunting. Now you may understand the takedown archery model of SAS courage offers efficient bow performance with sturdy structure.
- The bow length measures around 58-60 inches.
- It is available in both left-handed or right-handed.
- You will get a rug rest, bowstring, and SAS courage takedown recurve model.
- Made with natural hardwoods for unmatchable performance.
- The wooden limbs are wrapped with a fiberglass bottle.
- Both right and left hands are available.
- It is perfect for naive as well as professional archers.
- Usually backed up with a 3-year of limited warranty.
- Limb tips are not reinforced for better string upgrades.
What To Look For While Purchasing A Recurve Bow?
- Draw Weight
Finding the ideal weight for draw depends upon the general strength, build, and sex, so consider these factors as you probably don’t want to go for too heavy recurve bows. Unfortunately, that means when you practice from a recurve bow with a heavy draw, you might end up affecting your shooting techniques instead of developing them.
So, it is better to start with a reasonable draw weight that allows you to pull with good form and practice it daily to develop your muscle strength and memory. After that, you will naturally progress in your archery skills while increasing the draw weight side by side to something more substantial.
You should know that a recurve bow with interchangeable limbs is one that can be customized with various draw weights, making it an excellent option for a novice.
- Affordability & Price
Not everyone can afford to pay for expensive recurve bows, even when they are just beginning their archery training. No wonder a novice can damage the recurve bow in different ways like using it without a stringer or a wrong style of stringing, which will dishonor the terms and conditions of any warranty it has, shooting without an arrow or dry-firing it, or even misusing it somewhere can put the bow in jeopardy.
Have you ever considered how long you are going to use your first ever bow? You might even leave the sport after a couple of months. So, when you are about to make your first potential purchase, you shouldn’t focus on expensive bows. Instead of buying a recurve bow that is budget-friendly and matches your needs would do wonders.
It will help you understand whether archery is good for you or not. So, when you know what you are doing, you can upgrade your equipment according to your performance level. Until then, you should buy that recurve bow that you can comfortably afford.
- Draw Length / Bow Size (AMO Length)
You can easily estimate the perfect bow size if you can determine the draw length according to your physical traits. So, there are two things that you have to consider: first, ensure the bow is not taller than you, and second, using a large bow with bigger limbs offer a more forgiving trick shot.
That’s why most novice archers tend to use longbows, as these are taller than the archers and come integrated with a long limb length. However, you should know that using a bigger bow helps you with more forgiving shots, allowing you to take a shot from a distance. So. it would be better for you to buy larger bows as they will support more forgiving shots.
- Riser: Metal Or Wood?
A metal riser would be expensive than a wooden one, so it is better to consider a cost-efficient material to start your journey with. Although wooden risers are more pleasing as compared to metal ones. Before deciding that, you should know that the bow’s riser is a spot from where you hold the entire bow.
That means there will be some bare wood and special grips wrapped over the metal riser to make it easier and comfortable to hold. Bare wood is enough for having a fine grip. Not only this, but the riser is also available pre-drilled for equipping a wide range of accessories like arrow sight, stabilizer, and rest.
However, some wooden risers are not pre-drilled, but you can DIY so that you can easily attach any kind of fitment required. But you should remember that it may void the terms and conditions of the warranty, and for the record, it won’t be necessary during your first purchase. A good archer only requires fitments for stabilizer, rest, and sight, for which there are plenty of pre-drilled risers available on the market.
- Bow Weight
Determining the bow weight depends upon your physical fitness as you have to hold the bow for extended periods while you aim and shoot. So, you should choose a bow that you can hold for a longer period because a reasonable weight lets you focus on the foam instead of putting so much load on your shoulders.
Eventually, when you begin to master your aim form, you can use a slightly heavy bow. Otherwise, for a novice, weight should not affect your entire decision to make an ideal purchase.
- Right Or Left-Handedness
Some companies produce bows for both-handedness, while others produce only right-hand variation to ensure it prevents draw weight to bear on one side. So, if you are not sure which you need, whether it is a left-handed bow or right one, usually most people recommend using a right-handed bow.
- Arrow Rest
Arrow rest lets you maintain the position of an arrow before shooting. These accessories are easy to attach and replace when worn down, even though some bows let you shoot the shelf without an arrow rest. However, if you fit an arrow rest, you will find it easier to aim and shoot. There are certain types of rests available with the bow that wouldn’t affect your final decision.
- String Quality
The package of bows will also include a string, although you will not get the best string out there in the beginners’ box. So, wearing and breaking of string shouldn’t heavily affect your decision as it can be replaced with a quality string that you can use on your bow.
- Upgradeability / Limbs
Takedown bows are the most preferred type of recurve bow for beginners as they can be assembled and disassembled into parts, making it easier for you to change your limbs.
That means changing the limbs is way too cheaper than purchasing a recurve bow, and it can help you change the draw weight according to your requirements. So, buying a bow that comes with a limb replacement feature is recommended. Allowing you to level up your archery from a low draw weight to a higher one.
Most of you might understand that bows are pretty big, even when strung. However, when you unstring a bow, it becomes even bigger, making storing the bow a challenge unless you don’t have space to hang or place it in a room.
So, it is better to consider a takedown bow as it is considered best for every archer, whether beginner or expert. In addition, these bows can be disassembled and stored in a large draw, cupboard, or wardrobe. That means you can save a lot of space and save your bow from getting worn out earlier.
Checkout Now: Arrow Length Impact
However, you should know that some takedown bows can be assembled even without tools, so whether you consider taking this option or not is up to your personal preference. But you should remember to take every tool required for assembling the bow whenever you travel.
The appearance of your bow is dependent upon your personal choice unless you are a professional hunter who doesn’t want a bright blue riser with lettered white limbs, which you, by the way, find overall the bow to be more aesthetically appealing. However, even though the decision comes down to your personal choice, you should go for it as it will make you feel happy.
Different manufacturers are giving out variable warranty periods for their bows in which they also cover the limbs and riser but not the arrow rest or string. Sometimes bows can bear some defects due to quality issues, which result in extensive damage earlier than expected.
Check it Out: Bow Maintenance Tips
However, you should understand that manufacturers’ warranties can range from a whole period or limited to a certain period, in which a limited one will cover only some parts that include replacement of defective parts, but after a specified period, the claim amount will be reduced, let’s say by 40%.
Apart from this, there are specific terms and conditions that you need to follow. Otherwise, it will void the warranty less you:
- Mistreat or abuse your bow
- Modify your bow
- Dry fire your bow
- Always use a stringer
So, when it comes down to purchasing the best bow for your needs, it is always recommended to purchase it from a verified retailer who deals in genuine products with an exceptional history of customer support service.
This ensures that the warranty offered by the manufacturer will be liable if you find any defect in your product. Or you can even discuss your concern with the retailer. He will ensure that you are delighted with your potential purchase.
Now you know the basics of recurve bow and what to consider while purchasing an ideal bow for your needs. In addition, you have access to the curated list of the top best recurve bows for naive archers to choose from.
If you are looking for a recurve bow for a beginner or a young archer, we recommend you consider buying Samick Sage takedown recurve and Spyder takedown recurve bow as it includes every extra item you need to get started with your archery journey.
☑ Perfect Bow Maintenance Tips For Beginner To Experts
☑ Left Handed Recurve Bow
☑ Best Bow Stabilizer
☑ Bow Hunting Tips For Beginners
Leave a Reply